Whenever a tree is removed, a stump remains in the ground where the tree was. A professional tree remover will always recommend stump grinding if conditions around the stump base allow it. Stump grinders are designed in such a way that they roll up to the stump and grind it into tiny bits.
Stump grinders use a spinning blade that powerfully rips the stump as it rotates. Its teeth slice the stump wood into tiny bits. The operator directs the blade over the whole stump as the grinder chips off the wood and reduces the stump down to below-the-ground level.
Stump grinding produces a lot of wood chips. The chips produced may be more than you can imagine. However, you can use them to mulch or add to a green waste can. There will also be a hole in the ground after the whole stump volume has been removed. You can bring soil from another area and fill the void. Alternatively, you can fill it using wood chips to make the ground even with the surrounding.
Types of Stump Grinders
Stump grinders range from big, powerful grinders for huge tree stumps and small, lightweight ones for lighter jobs. Some of the types of stump grinders are:
- Handlebar grinders are small, hand-guided stump grinding machines. The operator walks behind it as they grind. They are easily portable as they can fit in the back of your car.
- Rear-hitch grinders. To move these grinders, you attach them to a trailer or truck, then detach and steer them on their wheels to the specific stump removal spot.
- Riding grinders. The operator controls this grinder while seated- like a tractor or bobcat.
- Skid stump grinders. The operator rides this grinder from its top. It has continuous track treads that grip large surface areas. The grinder is preferably used on soft grounds where other wheels would dig into the ground.
How to Use a Stump Grinder
Just like using other heavy equipment can potentially cause injury, so it is with stump grinders. It is therefore advisable to leave stump grinding to professionals. Before attempting to use a stump grinder, be sure of your skill.
As the stump grinding process takes place, sharp pieces of wood and other debris stuck into the ground might fly into the air, causing injury. Therefore, the operator should be well armored in protective gear to wade away the noise and protect them from flying objects.
In the process of stump grinding, damage may occur to the property. Professional tree removal companies and arborists have insurance against accidents that may occur in the process of stump grinding and tree removal. It is risky for a nonprofessional to do these things themselves since they may have to cover the damages caused on their property or their neighbors’ property.
Factors to Consider When Renting a Stump Grinder
If you are considering renting a stump grinder, here are some things that you may want to consider:
- How you will clean up and dispose of debris
- Whether you have a vehicle that will transport it from the rental yard and back
- Whether you have gas to power it
- How to stop flying debris
- Personal safety clothing for you
- Ability to operate the grinder
- How to protect the surrounding earth surface from damage
- The chance of the grinder blade teeth getting damaged by debris that lays hidden under the ground
The decision on whether to remove the stump or not lies with you. However, it is essential to know what to expect after removing the stump and if you don’t remove it.
Many homeowners underestimate how noticeable a left-over tree stump would be after a tree has been removed, particularly if the rest of the landscape is tidy and well-kept. By contrast, removing the stump leaves you with a blank canvas for potential landscape design.
A stump grinder eliminates the chance of the stump re-sprouting with suckering growth across its perimeter since it grinds the stump wood beneath ground level. This is also the most substantial reason for grinding a stump; leaving it in place can lead to frequent sucker pruning, a garden chore that never ends.
Professional Stump Grinding
If you feel the need to get rid of the tree stump in your garden, give us a call. Affordable Tree Service, Inc. experts will examine the stump and estimate the cost of its removal. You may actually be surprised at how quick, and affordable professional stump grinding is.