The most appropriate time for pruning and trimming trees is any time within the period between late fall and early spring. Pruning in winter or late fall when the tree is dormant helps save time and money and manage diseases.
Importance of Tree Pruning
Trees in our backyards cannot be allowed as much freedom as accorded forest trees that stretch out as wide and as high as possible. As much as we need to give our homes a natural look and feel and beautify the landscape with the trees, we must ensure that they do not pose a safety risk to people and property. That is why we trim and prune them to keep everything in check.
Pruning is the selective removal of branches from a tree to direct new and healthy growth, improve the tree structure, and remove unwanted branches.
Benefits of Trimming Service El Portal
When you prune trees, you invest in the look and safety of your property and the health of the trees.
Pruning your trees comes with the following benefits:
- You elevate your landscape with a polished, clean look.
- The trees grow on your terms without growing into power lines or over the roof.
- The dead, damaged, or broken branches are eliminated.
- Removal of dead and old branches boosts the new and healthy growth of your trees.
- You eliminate the potential risk of branches falling and damaging your property.
- You set up a good foundation for the long-term health of your plants.
Methods of Pruning
Methods of tree pruning are based on the goal.
The most common types are:
- Reducing density- the arborist removes sub-branches down to their branch of origin. This method is used to remove uptight branches and allow sunlight to reach the trees.
- Maintaining health- You fine-tune a tree using simple cuts to clear out damaged, diseased, and dead limbs to polish up the tree.
- Size management- This involves cutting off the limbs to reduce the width or height of a tree. The arborist shortens the branches that are growing into power lines or decreases the width of the tree.
- Structural (subordination)- This involves any of the above cuts to improve the health and structure of the plant.
When Should I Prune Fruit Trees?
Tree Trimming Service El Portal
To increase the productivity of your fruit trees, you should prune them regularly to allow sunlight to reach every part of the tree. Enough sunlight guarantees more high-quality fruit.
Now comes the big question: when should you prune your fruit trees? Is fruit tree pruning beneficial in the summer? Continue reading to find out. Soon, you’ll be able to taste the delicious fruits of your labor!
You can prune fruit trees in the summer. Many fruit trees, including peach and apple trees, can be trimmed at any time of year without causing harm.
When is the right time to prune your fruit trees? It’s between December and early February when the trees are dormant.
Wait until the chilliest part of winter has passed, but before your trees begin to bloom, prune your trees.
Some of the cases which could call for tree pruning during the summer are:
- If the tree is growing too large
- If it produces too much fruit
- If the older, non-producing limbs are hindering its productivity
- If it has unsafe limbs that could fall off
Tree Pruning Service in El Portal
If the above-listed things apply to your fruit trees, you may prune your fruit trees a bit. However, you should only focus on minor cuts and leave the extensive trimming for the period of tree dormancy.
To keep your precious green asset in perfect health, hire the most knowledgeable and experienced arborist. Contact Affordable Tree Service Inc. for a free consultation.